Thursday, May 21, 2009

UGANDAN ENGLISH

Getto Dollar



It is the English spoke n in Uganda by most of da people
Ugandan English is too wide how ever I will give you some few phrases and I request you to send me more.

Note that in most places “r” is pronounced as “l”. E.g lestolant

HERE ARE YOUR FEW PHRASES( You can publish them on your site freely. link back to me)

“a drunkard man” : a drunken man

“Dat boy”, that boy.

“Dat man is bad”: meaning good at something

“Dot com girl”: a styled up girl

“endongo” music, musical instruments, music system

“Falla”: a backward peson, not updated

“I can’t hear you”: I can not hear what you are saying

“ka boy”. “ka man” : ka is used to mean inferior/small

“kapele”, kapele bussiness: one who is ignorant and wants to show up

“kyeyo business” :means going out of Uganda to the western world looking for small jobs.

“leave me alone” : don’t disturb me

“lets meet de other day”: lets meet the day after tomorrow

“morning”: good mornig

“Talk louder”: speak up

“Villa” village

“Who are you” what is your name

Back bite / lugambo means rumor tell rumor.

Big is big : meaning an important person I society.

Borrow means lend and lend means borrow, borrow me a pen.

Kamyokya: one of Kampala’s slams

Kati now: meaning now

Kidandali music: A common genre of music in Uganda.

Opsito: hospital

Polisi : police.

Ziki: music, playing ziki.

“Mazzi mawanvu” some one who is not easy to catch up with, I have come so far

No comments:

Post a Comment